Introduction to reference managers
- Date: 30th May 2021
- Time: 14:30 – 16:00
- Duration: 1 hour and 30 mins
- Audience: All Staff | All Students
- Digital Capability: Digital Information, Data and Media Literacy
- Booking Link: https://edin.ac/3FE1jhA
At University of Edinburgh you will be using a large number of documents in many different formats (e.g. journal article, book chapter, image, report, case law, conference proceedings etc.). Using a reference manager to collect, organise, annotate and cite these references can save you a lot time, improve accuracy and help you structure your work.
This short session will introduce you to four reference managers: EndNote, Zotero, Mendeley and Citavi, all of which have free versions.
In the session we’ll demonstrate how to:
- Download references automatically from catalogues/databases and create references manually
- Store PDFs and web pages in your library
- Annotate saved PDFs
- Add citations to your work in MS Word
- Create a bibliography automatically in MS Word
We’ll also explain how to download the packages and what free and paid-for options are available.
About the Presenter - Andrew Kirk
Andrew delivers training on a wide variety of courses, with a focus on video and audio editing, reference management, document preparation and videoconferencing tools. A qualified librarian, before joining the Digital Skills and Training Team he worked in libraries in Scotland and Ireland, and in a television newsroom.