Wikimedia in Scotland
- Date: 24th May 2021
- Time: 12:00 – 13:00
- Duration: 1 hour
- Audience: All Staff | All Students
- Digital Capability: Digital Information, Data and Media Literacy
- Booking Link: https://edin.ac/3oepKJS
“Historically, knowledge has been concentrated in the hands of the few. Marginalized groups’ histories and perspectives have been excluded by structures of power and privilege. Wikipedia revolutionizes this model, as the world’s largest, free, collaboratively-sourced encyclopedia.” (Wikimedia 2020)
This presentation and end of year CELEBRATION event discusses the efforts of the ScotWiki community and the Wikimedia residency at the University of Edinburgh; highlighting its efforts working with Wikipedia both as an ally in its mission to disseminate verifiable open knowledge and an important tool in its information literacy and digital skills strategy.
In a time when many have felt disconnected and powerless, this presentation will showcase stories of student empowerment; providing exemplars of how staff, students and members of the public have all engaged with, and been motivated by, researching and publishing their scholarship online in a real-world application of their teaching and learning.
During the event there will be several lightning talk presentations followed by a brief Q&A.
Line-up of speakers
- 5 years of Wikipedia in teaching & learning at the University of Edinburgh – presented by Ewan McAndrew (Wikimedian in Residence at University of Edinburgh)
- Women in STEM editathons – Wikipedia and the gender gap – presented by Sarah Lappin – President of the University of Edinburgh Women in STEM society on the Women in STEM editathons (tbc.)
- HIV Scotland editathons for LGBT History month – presented by Lorna Campbell, OER Service at University of Edinburgh
- BREAK for Q&A
- Scots Wikipedia and minority language Wikipedias – presented by Dr. Sara Thomas, Scotland Programme Co-ordinator at Wikimedia UK
- Making Wikipedia easier to learn, a student perspective – presented by Hannah Rothmann, Classics undergraduate and Wikimedia intern
- Wikimedia UK and the road ahead – presented by Lucy Crompton-Reid – CEO, Wikimedia UK.
This session will be held online via Zoom. The event link and passcode will be sent to those registered before the session start time.
Please note that you must not share the link/password for this session.